White Sands National Monument (Las Cruces NM) (10/2012)

The White Sands National Monument, located near Las Cruces, New Mexico, is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.  I had no idea what to expect - and was blown away by it.  As you drive into the pure white dunes, you are overwhelmed by the natural beauty that surrounds you.  The photos do not do it justice. 

The drive from Las Cruces is about 40 miles down a long road through a missile testing range.  It's a pretty drive.




Be sure to stop at the visitor center.  There is a FANTASTIC movie (about 20 minutes long) about White Sands.  I highly recommend this movie.  The park rangers at the visitor center are very helpful and nice.



The visitor center was beautiful.  I like how it keeps with the New Mexico style of buildings.














I think something lives in those holes!








There are lots of little critters who live out here in this harsh desert.  You don't see them during the day, but they leave little tracks all over.










Once you enter the dunes area, you are taken aback by the sheer beauty of it.  While it is a harsh environment, it is really majestic.  I would suggest going early in the morning.  By 11am it is HOT (I was here in early October, 2012).



I think these people are CRAZY, but I guess if you want a suntan, this is the place to come.







Kermie and the Red Cat like the white sand.


Cousin Itt


What a GREAT place for a picnic lunch!


I am always prepared.


Despite the heat, it was a fantastic day!


No comments:

Post a Comment